The title refers of course to new hairdo. I've chopped off my long hair and got a funky hairdo. How funky? I've got short hair with bright red (almost to the point of pink) streaks running through my hair. Feel like burying my head in some hole, that is what I told most of my friends. The new hairdo just does not gel with my character. I'm not that happening or partying kind of person and yet my hair, sigh*. I think I look abit like siao za bo (crazy woman). The days following the haircut were spent shampooing my hair and washing it as many times as I can manage so that the bright colours will fade to copper brown. It's the third day and the colour did darken abit, much to my relief. Having read this entry until this point, if you haven't discover something different, then you are not a frequent reader of my blog. Shame on you! *just kidding * just kidding. So the second *just kidding is actually meant for the first *just kidding which means that I am just kidding when I said the first *just kidding which ultimately means Shame on you! Back to my wu liao self, felt so much better. Anyway, the difference that I mentioned earlier pertains to my writing style. As the government is earnestly promoting the speak good English campaign, well, maybe I should just participate in it. Being overwhelmed by the numerous phrases published by the newspaper in an effort to correct the Singaporean English, (for e.g, You got give me the water bottle meh? (X) Did you give me the water bottle? (O)
Something like that. But I think that by using Singlish, it actually helps people to interact better. It is also the language to use during ice-breaking session when you have to introduce yourself to new people, and want to portray yourself as an easy-going person. The language also humbles an individual when he is talking with his peers. And I think the hawker stall uncle or auntie will most probably treat you better when you speak Singlish. It all boils down to the Singaporean identity. This is the language that helps Singaporean pick out other Singaporeans when they go overseas be it for studies or work. It is a language, or rather not a whole new language, but a slang that is unique to Singapore. The Irish also speaks in a different way from the English, although they are both speaking the same language. So why is the government so determined to strike down the lovable language which represents the creativity of Singaporeans? I'll have to think hard about that.
Enough of that long, weird, out of character paragraph. I must immediately revert back to my normal self. Anyway, I’m abit puzzled by one of my friends’ behaviour. Her birthday had just passed on Monday. My other friends and I went to Bugis to purchase her birthday present. We actually walked around the whole of bugis to pick three different items for her. After that we went to one of my friend’s house in Seng Kang to create a special birthday card for her. Then coincidentally, my birthday friend was online. So we asked her when she free to meet because we wanted to pass her the presents. But her reply was that she does not like to meet. Sigh* I really don’t know what is wrong. I think the three of us were kind of like momentarily stunned then rather disappointed. Like we planned the present for her and she does not want to meet? I really don’t know what is going on. Until now, the present is still sitting in my house. It seems like she is angry with me or something, I’m not sure. But sometimes friendships can be so complicated. Hopefully she will be able to meet up with us sometime soon.
Book review time!
Currently, I’m reading Neil Gaiman’s American Gods. I think it’s quite an old book but I happened to come across it only on the last day of the kinokuniya sale. I was like reading the summary of the book. When I saw that one of the characters was named Wednesday, I knew I definitely have to purchase the book. I mean such interesting names, so the content should be so too right? So I was reading, and I must admit that up till now, at the three hundred and thirty-first page, I still couldn’t get any head or tail of what the story is about. The settings changes from one chapter to the next. And the characters too. At some parts, the content gets too lengthy and boring so I just scan through them. It is really hard to latch onto Neil Gaiman’s train of thoughts as it seemed to move about in an erratic manner, you won’t know what’s coming next or why the story suddenly sets itself in a different timeframe from that in which the main character is in. Reading the book is like swimming in an endless ocean---you never get anywhere. But yet, being drawn to fantasy novels, I had to continue reading the book which is written by the fantasy master, Neil Gaiman. I first came across his work when my sister told me about the sandman comics that her friend reads. I was fascinated by weird names that he gives each of the characters, like death and delirium. Then I watched the movie, Mirrormask, which is based on the script by Neil Gaiman. It was fantastic. So here I am, semi-engrossed in his American Gods, maybe reading his Neverwhere next.
-siao za bo-
Saturday, August 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment